Sunday, November 8, 2009

Beach Day

After two long days of 7am starts and classes all day at the training center, we got a little break!! Today we went to the beach and a reptile center.

The beach was BEAUTIFUL!! Not too many tourists yet, and we got in a good game of ultimate frisbee. We didn't even see many bumsters trolling for european women. (I could explain what bumsters are, but I think wikapedia does a pretty good job)

The reptile center was set up to help inform gambians that they don't need to kill on first sight every single snake they see. I'm not sure how well it's working as all of the gambians with us stayed a good distance away anytime a snake was brought out. Although by the end one did muster the courrage to touch the cobra that was being passed around. (When I find a picture of me with it I'll post it.)

Tomorrow we have interviews for our site locations. We discuss with our program leader where we think we want to be placed (combos-city area or futher up country), what language we are interested in making our focus (Mandinka, Wolof, or Pulaar), and the job we see ourself doing while here. We should find out by tuesday what language we need to learn and a list of three potential sites.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't get too friendly with those cobras. There must be nicer snakes you could pet.

    ReplyDelete